Sunday, November 16, 2014

It’s Time for American Made

After only one month, the leather strap of my Shinola watch has begun to darken, which reminds me of my love and passion for the American-made timepiece.


The smell of fresh wood still remains on the box that encased my favorite watch. The box is proudly engraved with “Shinola Detroit,” so no one wrongly assumes that this is just another brand that manufactures outside the United States. As the box suggests, Shinola manufactures all of its watches in what was once the booming automobile manufacturing city of America. 

Though Detroit has deteriorated to its skeletal remains, according to Shinola’s website, “We’re starting with the reinvigoration of a storied American brand, and a storied American city. Because we believe in the beauty of industry. The glory of manufacturing.” 

Within the wooden box is a steel label, which reads, “Built by Stefan Mihoc,” who I learn from Shinola’s website is from Troy, MI and has worked for Shinola for three years.

As I wear my watch, I feel as though my purchase is contributing to the rise of the Motor City and success of the people within its walls. 

Before I purchased the watch, I spent 30 minutes of the sales associates time trying on countless Shinola watches. Shinola had me at ‘Made in America,’ but choosing just one watch was growing more and more difficult. I was in the market for a time piece that would join me through my lifetime, so I decided on The Runwell. Its tan leather strap stitched with cream thread was made at Chicago’s Horween Leather Company in Bucktown and blends well with my skin tone. Plus, the white face that's enclosed by a steel case compliments most of the items in my closet. 

Since the day I purchased the Shinola watch in early October, I haven’t gone a day without wearing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment